The Portuguese nationality law was amended and announced to take effect from the beginning of 2020 allowing every child born in this country to be granted Portuguese citizenship without the need for residence of parents as before. In addition, all residents who maintain a full 5-year stay inPortugal can apply for citizenship, and there is no mandatory Portuguese language requirement as before.
In mid-2018, the Portuguese nationality law added a number of provisions in favor of children born inPortugal. In particular, children born in Portugal are entitled to Portuguese citizenship, provided that parents must meet one of the following requirements:
1) One parent has Portuguese nationality;
2) Parents do not havePortuguese nationality, but at least one of them has legally resided inPortugal for at least 2 consecutive years (previously 5 years)
The old law also stipulates that children born in Portugal with foreign parents can naturalize on the condition that:
- They have the ability to usePortuguese
- They have not been convicted, under the final verdict that they are no longer appealed, with a prison term of3 years or more
- They are not a threat or threat to national security.
- One of the parents has resided in Portugal at least 5 years before the application for naturalization, or the minor has completed a basic or secondary education in Portugal.
Under the new Portuguese law, the children of immigrants living in Portugal will automatically be considered Portuguese without having to take 2 years.
In addition, all residents who maintain a full 5-year stay in Portugal can apply for citizenship, and there is no mandatory Portuguese language requirement as before.
Changes in Portugal's nationality law are considered to create favorable conditions for many international citizens and foreign investors wishing to move to this country.Especially investors participating in the Portuguese investment program GoldenVisa
Resident Global will continuously update the changes in the Law on resident investment, citizenship investment to help investors quickly grasp the best investment times, optimize the benefits when investing abroad.